1. Wealth spots (明财位/ 次财位)
2. Sofa position
3. Dining table
4. Room brightness
6. Movement pathway (动线)
7. Cleanliness/ Tidiness
Wealth Spots (明财位/ 次财位)
Depending on Feng Shui styles, wealth spots identified may lie in different parts of the room. Styles examples:
Wealth spot or known as primary wealth spot (明财位) often represents a house owner’s career income or business revenue.
If the living room conditions can’t establish a primary wealth spot, then a secondary wealth spot (次财位) is often seek to replace it. This is often lies at opposite corner that is nearest to primary wealth spot.
If fortunate, 2 wealth spots can be established which may be fully utilised.
1. Home/ Landform Feng Shui (居家/ 峦头风水)
2. Xuan Kong Feng Shui (选空风水)
3. I-Ching Feng Shui (易经风水)
4. Qi Men Dun Jia Feng Shui (奇门盾甲风水)
5. Individual Bazi Analysis (八字)Without any Feng Shui calculation/ layout, the most direct and simple method (style #1) is 45° degree angle directly opposite the main door, lies at far corner of the room. To better illustrate this, below depicts 3 different scenarios Ideal conditions required for a wealth spot to establish with effect:
1. Clean and tidy area.
2. Sufficient brightness and not a dim/ dark area.
3. No beam on top or pillar facing the wealth spot. This signify challenges to accumulate wealth.
4. No windows behind/ exposed to external, rule of thumb is one arm length or at least 126-128 cm opaque wall/ window bind/ translucent window sticker behind the spot. In Feng Shui term, this signify wealth can’t be well save or accumulate （财位见空） which resulted in wealth leakage. Regards as one of the critical conditions to establish a wealth spot as this create an enclosed area for airflow to reside.
5. No air-con system installed at top of the wealth spot. Another important condition to establish wealth spot yet is a common sight seen in Singapore houses. This indicates two things; 1) airflow can’t reside in this spot 2) challenging to accumulate wealth
6. If coffee table/ cabinet is placed at the spot, prefer not to have empty space below as this signify building castle in the air.Suggested items placed in wealth spot:
Modern Feng Shui Items
1. Geode Crystal (水晶洞)
-Different colors represent different meaning. Usually amethyst crystal is used (discuss during our next article).
-Geode size is best to be proportional to the room. E.g. A big room can’t just place a small geode or vice versa. Goode size may be too negligible to be effective.
-Often placed in front of window to replace opaque layer (discussed above) for sufficient room brightness.
3. Modern art pieces such as animal zodiac, deers (signify good fortune – 禄) or Liuli （琉璃）
4. Vases that is not empty inside
5. Art painting
6. Containers such as good teapots or good wine to function as treasure bowl （聚宝盆）
7. Water feature items such as moving ball water fountain, fish tank
8. Other crystals types such as agate （玛瑙）
Traditional Feng Shui Items
1. Treasure bowl (聚宝盆)
2. Pixiu (貔貅)
3. Three-legged toad (三脚蟾蜍)
4. Wealth God (财神)
5. Other auspicious items such as fortune cat, etc…
SofaSofa is a physical space where guests and family member seated and mingle around. It can signify or indicate a family fortune. Ideal conditions for sofa
1. In good and clean condition, not tattered, torn or dirty
2. No beam on top/ pillar facing directly or from the sides
3. No bright light/ spot light shining on it
4. No mirror behind the sofa
5. Best to be against the wall as this beget able to gain good support from other people
6. Cannot be too high or too low than the coffee table for guests
7. Sofa color are sometimes taken into consideration if Feng Shui Master is using this during his audit. However, be mindful recommended color should not spoil the entire home theme and resulted sofa as a sore eye instead. In short, don’t let a small detail spoil your entire picture based on a single factor.
Dining TableDining Table is an area where family members and guests gathered to eat and drink. Having a dining table exists allows one to cook and eat at one convenient. If the situation doesn’t allow a dining table such as space constraint, it also indicate family members seldom has a chance to dine together as the living room does not create such an opportunity. Having access to convenience of dining together at a table is one of the steps to family harmony. For current HDB layout, there is no partition/ section to indicate its own dining area unless it belongs to a private residence. HDB integrated this area into living room and present as a whole. Ideal conditions for dining table
1. Prefer to be clean and tidy with no messy or cluttered items on table or below it
2. Round, square or rectangle shaped table is prefer, not corners or sides that are torn or chipped off.
3. Prefer not to have medicine placed on table just for convenience sake. Best to be properly kept as this leads to a habit.
4. Has to be a proper table; not a makeshift tables such as mahjong table, plastic table, study table, etc…
Room brightnessOverall of the room is prefer to be bright and not dark nor dim for obvious reasons. Best to allow daylight into the room and not cluttered with clothes/ plants/ flowers. Cluttering of these items around the windows is a common sign observed in Singapore. Not only brightness is affected, this also affect the viewing from living room itself.
CeilingAn important aspect often missed during Feng Shui audit. Ceiling condition indicates the family fortune & wealth. Ideal conditions for ceiling:
1. Prefer not to have mirror/ reflection installed at the ceiling
2. Prefer to have a layer of paint with no peeling or no water leakage/ dark patches
3. Prefer to be in bright color and not dark color as this affect overall of the room
4. No weird beams such as cross beams or odd beam in the ceiling, prefer to cover it with false ceilingThese are common senses which new house owner may ensure and check during his/ her Temporary Occupancy Permit (TOP). However, these signs will be common for resales house owner or current owner when a house has aged and ready for resale or when stayed for a period of time. At this point in time, these signs will often not be his/ her main concern as it will be seen as a daily usual matters.